Investing in a quality CCTV security camera system is not only an integral part of the security systems but also help provide with a Hawkeye about the activities that are taking place outside or inside. They can easily capture important event footage, break-ins and perhaps offer you great comfort at workplace or at home while your pets and kids are home alone.
Surveillance being a booming industry, there are more than 100 known brands of CCTV capturing the market, along with intensive white labelling that has further added to the numbers in a big way! So the questions that commonly arise are : What are the most popular CCTV brands in India? How do I find out if the brand offered by my systems integrator is the right one? What are the disadvantages if I get any brand/white labelled surveillance system? This blog is an attempt to answer some of these questions.
Most Popular CCTV Brands In India
Below is the graphical representation of the most popular CCTV brands in India. This popularity is just a representation of anonymous statistical data gathered and does not necessarily indicate the best CCTV cameras or the best security camera brand.
Disclaimer: Huge efforts are made to present recent and accurate information. This is completely internal data and the use of information given is strictly at the user’s risk. Security360 Solutions disclaims any kind warranties included in any materials. All trademarks belong to their respective owners.
Ways to identify branded Vs Unbranded CCTV Cameras
While it is difficult to find out if the given CCTV Brand is genuine or not just by the name, here are few simple tips to help you get an idea :
- Google is (as usual 😊 ) one of your best help. Search for the brand in google and check their website. If you aren’t able to find one, you have the answer!
- If you find out the brand website, look for their service centre in India. The products come with 1 or 2 years warranty and should have a post sales support channel. For example brands like Hikvision make sure the support is done through their certified service integrators.
- Get a sample camera box and check for sealed packaging. If you have a doubt, then the quality is definitely a question.
- Look for BIS certificate number on the camera box. White labelled products do not have BIS certificate number.
- Check for serial number and model number print on the box as well as the camera.
Things you might lose with unbranded/white labelled CCTV Systems
You may be able to get a desired output from the unknown camera brand or a white labelled. But does the same quality last long ? The answer is No. Below are the disadvantages for an unknown brand of installed cameras :
- Number of LEDs in the camera might be less and hence the night vision of such cameras will not be up to the mark.
- Even though the camera is a 2 MP or 5 MP, the actual output might be lesser than 2 MP or 5 MP. This is due to the quality of sensor and lens used inside the camera. To find this out, check the sample footage of another known camera brand and the one that has been suggested to you. There are lot of videos available online that can help clarify the same. Mark an object of similar size in both the camera footages and check on clarity.
- Infrared lights might be of a lower quality, there is a possibility that such cameras can produce a grainy picture in the night. It is natural for the picture produced by your CCTV camera to be slightly grainy, but if it gets excessive, this could be a sign of a problem. Hence this needs to be checked.
- Ask for the LUX at which the camera operated. This helps in determining minimum illumination (light) required to see the color image with clarity. Larger value indicates better clarity in low lighting condition.
- Another thing to look for is a way you can keep your CCTV System up and running. Is there a way in which your repairs and maintenance can be handled ? Any customer service hotline, online ticketing or ways to register complaints ?
Needless to say, quality and post sales support are at the stake for unbranded CCTV products. Poor quality defeats the entire purpose of having CCTV system and the amount spent on CCTV system is not worthwhile if post sales support is not there. On the other hand, a branded system provides quality, consistency and trust and surely the only way to go!